The Meteor

I won't lie and say that I'm not basing all of my knowledge of zombies off movies and videogames. What else am I supposed to learn tactics from? I've watched Dawn of the Dead three times since last Wednesday. And you might think, "Isn't that like watching Snakes on a Plane on a plane?" and I would argue otherwise. There's nothing more helpful in this situation than desensitization, in my opinion. The more I see Ving Rhames shotgun a motherfucker in the face, the better I'll feel if I eventually need to shotgun a motherfucker. But basically what I'm trying to say right now is that I really have no idea how these things are going to act. Do they look like zombies? Yes. Are they walking around all slow-like and moaning? Yes. Do they eat other people? Yes. Are they people who were once dead and are now walking around aimlessly? Yes.

But then I think about how this started. The meteor. What kind of meteor brings a virus that turns people into the undead? I'm thinking about the movie Slither and how that meteor was carrying a kind of slug that found a host. Then that one host spawned more slugs and those slugs took over more people and the host contolled them telephathically. But I couldn't tell you if that's what was happening here or not. A zombie is what a zombie is. And these ones, from what I saw on the earlier news reports and from just outside on the street, these ones don't run as fast as they do in Snyder's "Dawn of the Dead," but linger around like the ones from Romero's original. I own both of those movies. I've also been watching Shaun of the Dead to see the humor in all of this.

So I wanted to research the meteor that landed near Guerneville -- near the river, I heard -- and I couldn't find anything on the internet. They've taken the reports down. All of them. I get 404 messages when I go to bookmarked pages I distinctly remember reporting on the incident. Now there's nothing to read. Not even Wikipedia has anything on it. The Santa Rosa Police Department website has been temporarily unavailable for two days. The public library website has been replaced with the static message: STAY INSIDE WITH YOUR FAMILY AND WAIT FOR RESCUE. I've bookmarked that page and I find myself reading that message a few times every hour. I'm glad someone put that message there, like a candle in the dark...

I couldn't find out anything about the meteor. What I remember from the first report was that it came down around noon on Sunday, August 3rd. First witnesses said it landed near the river -- a busy tourist day, too -- in a secluded area of the woods. Curious people went to investigate and apparently the meteor was letting out a gas of some kind -- people compared it to the smell of burnt popcorn -- and whoever breathed it would instantly choke and die. Big groups of people were taken to the nearest hospital. Then the story was let out. I heard about it when customers came into work Monday morning talking about the meteor. And when I went to watch the news when I got home, the new story was about the riot at the Guerneville hospital, and the more I listened the more I knew this was not a regular event. All the rioters had been previously dead bodies closed away in the morgue.

By chance, however, I did find this short video on the internet. I get the impression that the people on the video did not survive, seeing as they were evidently sitting near the meteor crash-site. It's a bit rough, but the video takes a disturbing twist at the end. I wonder how quickly the virus takes over a person. Perhaps it depends on the dose.




That's all for now. I'm going back to playing Resident Evil 4.

No comments: