Mom Called

I just got off the phone with my mom. They're being evacuated this afternoon and taken to some place in Tahoe -- taken by bus, she said. She said she would call as soon as they got settled in, but not to expect her to call until tomorrow. Or the next day. I'm glad that she's being taken somewhere safe -- her and my younger sister, Loren. She couldn't say much more about what was happening but I've been reading on the internet about outbreaks in Sacramento that got beyond old quarantine barriers. I guess they thought they had the virus contained, but... It just started moving up Interstate 80 toward Roseville, Auburn... There were stories coming from Roseville about zombies attacking the Galleria Mall. I couldn't help but think about Dawn of the Dead. Anyway, I thought that was worth sharing. In case anyone might be reading.

Meanwhile, though, I haven't gotten an e-mail from my dad in a while. Or a call, although even during a zombie invasion I think we'd rather just e-mail each other. He's been living down toward Palo Alto, which is below San Francisco... I know San Francisco was quarantined but I'm not sure if that extended down to him. There's no way to know. I've already spent enough time imagining what might have happened.

Other than the phonecall, nothing much has happened this morning. My stomach won't stop grumbling because I'm starving. I'll probably have to eat something soon. I could just get totally wasted off the rest of the rum and pass out. It would be a quick way to make the day go by. It's getting harder to resist letting myself get really trashed. I've always been a calm guy -- and one of the things that keeps me the calmest is writing, which is good -- but being stuck in here for fourteen days is incredibly aggravating. And it doesn't help that the power went out for a while last night while I was sleeping. My alarm clock was flashing 12:00 when I woke up. So who knows how long electricity is going to last? I'll be cut off from my information sources. I'll be like that guy in that Twilight Zone episode who survives the nuclear blast and then breaks his glasses. Maybe not that severe. If the power goes out, then that's a sign it's time for me to move on.

I just realized that if the power does go out, I could probably make it to the library across the street. If they still had power then I could use their computers. And a library sounds like a place that people might go to for safety. Though... this long after the quarantine... I don't think a person could survive in the library. There might be snack machines though. I don't remember if there are snack machines in that library or not. And, also, worst case scenario is that everyone inside is already a zombie.

And using a computer in another apartment in my complex wouldn't work because if the power goes out in my apartment, it'll be out in all of the others, too. Or so I'd imagine. But I shouldn't really base my escape plan on whether or not they have a computer. I need to go somewhere high up -- like the second floor of somewhere -- and with food and supplies. I'm still thinking I'll try to make it to Belen's parents' house in Fountain Grove. But I still haven't heard from Belen. She won't respond to any voicemails or text messages. And no one else from work has called me back. None of my friends from school, either. All the hope I have is split between meeting up with Belen and investigating the fires at the County Dump.

Both seem equally impossible. But my hunger says otherwise.

No comments: