Survivor at 220 Winston Road

To Do List:
  1. Barricade the doors and windows.
  2. Talk to my parents.
  3. Talk to my friends.
  4. Write my will.
I did everything on my list, except for the second one. I haven't found the energy to take apart my furniture to board up the windows. It's been just glass and closed windowblinds for seven days now and so far none of the zombies have figured a way in. They don't stick around long enough to break the windows because I don't think any of them have figured anyone's in here. I closed up the windows tight and put duct tape around the edges, hopefully sealing it. On the downside I think I've cut off my oxygen. At least once a day I've lifted a bit of the tape from beneath the door and tried to suck in some pure air... but I don't want to risk getting their attention.

So I can't really do much else besides stuff a chair beneath the doorknob. I stay quiet. I use headphones. I don't need to wear shoes and I could -- though I don't -- walk around naked just to keep my noise at a total minimum. I haven't taken a full shower but two days ago I filled up pots with water from the bathroom sink and splashed soapy water on my face, armpits, back of the neck. It's been awfully hot these past days and it gets pretty toasty with the windows closed and sealed and the fan turned off. It can get uncomfortably sweaty, too, and it's starting to smell like a locker room in here. I keep myself clothed just in case I need to make an emergency escape. I don't want to get caught with my pants down.

So I don't know if anyone in Santa Rosa is still alive. I've talked to my parents and they haven't been hit by the virus yet -- they live in Truckee. I imagine it will spread to the bigger cities first. I talked to them yesterday and so I'd say they have another day before Truckee is evacuated. We didn't get much of a warning. I woke up seven days ago and the sky was smokey and the whole city was screaming with sirens and squealing tires and explosions and gunshots, like the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan. I just walked out to my street where my car was parked and I see this group of zombies chase down this girl who trips and falls face-first into a mailbox... then gets ripped up by these zombies. I got back into my apartmnet before they noticed me. I got the chair under the door and locked the deadbolt and shut the windows...

And that was seven days ago. I made that To-Do List because I knew that I'd eventually start something like this blog... some way to keep a record of what's happening. This is a little more insightful than the will I wrote. That's just this scrap of paper I tacked up on the fridge that says who can have all my stuff, and says how much I love my parents and all that... But I thought this would be more valuable. Not just for me. I love to write so this won't be anything but a calming alternative to a constant state of fingernail-gnawing anxiety. But this is for other people who might still be alive in Santa Rosa and still have internet access. Someone at the library. Anyone. I'm at 220 Winston Road. I'm alone and my supplies are low. I live in a gated apartment complex. If you read this then please contact me.

In the meantime, since my list is done, I've reached a kind of peacefulness with the situation. I feel relatively safe -- I notice that most of the zombies are outside of the fence, which means that if the front gate is shut, the whole apartment complex is protected by a ten-foot steel barrier. I haven't heard much screaming from anyplace nearby and I have hope that no one in my complex has become a zombie. If that's true, then maybe one of them will venture out and gather us all together. I'm too scared to even open the goddamn windowblinds so I don't think that person will be me. I'm fine here. Although I did eat one of my last two Top Ramen's today. It was worth it, of course, because I've been starving myself just to push my already low food supply as far as possible.

I'm down to the following:

1 Top Ramen (shrimp), 1 jar peanut butter, 6 slices of bread, 1 bottle kahlua, 1 bottle rum, 1 package of blueberry pancake mix, butter, salsa, oatmeal, and pasta noodles.

Electricity is still on, obviously. I'm glad for that. But who knows how long that will last? I've been trying to keep myself busy so that I don't freak myself out thinking too much. I feel better already just having something productive to do. And it feels good to get my voice out there. I really hope this turns out good. I gave the blog an optimistic title... I feel pretty confident. I've seen all the zombie movies and I feel like I've got that training on my side. As long as zombies act like they do in the movies -- and these ones all look like the slower kind -- then I'm fine. I'll be fine.

It's been seven days since I saw ten or eleven of them out there... Now there could be a hundred. At night it sometimes sounds like there's a hundred of them out there, moaning and moaning all night. It's a haunting sound. The smell of them rotting in the sun, too -- I'm glad I sealed up the windows but it still wasn't enough to keep out the smell of death.

No comments: